Thursday, December 16, 2010

Vegan Banana Almond Oatmeal Bars

We’re huge bar fans at our house. No, not that kind of bar! I’m talking about the whole food bars that are taking the market by storm these days. Let’s be real though- they’re expensive and most of them still contain a lot of sugar. Well, check these babies out! I took three different whole food bar recipes and after adding and subtracting ingredients, I came up with this recipe yesterday morning! No butter. No added sugar. They are totally vegan and super quick and easy. My kids love them and actually call them cookie bars.
I feel so sneaky (insert malicious laugh) because kiddo number one (Presley) disdains all but a handful of food items. She also loves anything sweet. I have to be creative in trying to find foods she will accept.  This recipe is a blessing. So, if you do have a picky eater, give these a try. If you don’t, you’re missing out. Plus, they’re great reheated and the perfect breakfast bar.

Banana Almond Oatmeal Bars
2 ½ cups quick oats
¾ cup shredded coconut
¼ cup raisins or cranberries
2 tablespoons flaxseeds (optional)
½ cup chopped dates
½ cup slivered almonds
2 tablespoons almond butter
3/4 cup applesauce
2 large smashed bananas

This recipe doesn't get much easier. 
It's as simple as mixing
up all the ingredients!


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8 x 8 inch pan with tin foil and spread the “dough” evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Serve warm or let cool. Cut into squares and enjoy!

p.s. If you think cookie dough is addicting, just wait!

p.s.s If you are nervous about your kids trying these, feel free to add a few tablespoons of honey, agave or maple syrup to sweeten them up even more. You can also drizzle some over the top.

See they look just like dessert bars!

1 comment:

  1. What if I just come over to your house & you make me all this healthy stuff so I don't have to cook it? Although it does look easy enough even I couldn't screw it up (could I?). Also, this is such a fantastic idea. I'm tired of feeding my kids yogurt & string cheese when they want a snack!

    ReplyDelete